Hey Chicago, hope everyone had a nice weekend!!!! For those of you who are in school, it’s finals time which means time to buckle down and study study study. My brother is a freshman at Ohio State and I wanted send him a package with some homemade goodies to wish him good luck.
I decided to bake him chippy chewy bars. My friend Becky shared her recipe with me and these bars are divine!
Here is the recipe:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) Peanut Butter Chips
- 1-1/2 cups Sweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup of Chocolate Chips, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips or Mini Chips Semi-Sweet Chocolate
- 1-1/2 cups of HEATH bits
- optional: 1/2 cup of rainbow sprinkles
- 3/4 teaspoon shortening (do not use butter, margarine, spread or oil)
1) Heat oven to 350°F. Place butter in 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat in oven until melted; remove pan from oven. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs evenly over butter; press down with fork.
2) Sprinkle peanut butter chips and heath bits, & milk chocolate chips over crumbs; sprinkle coconut over chips. Drizzle sweetened condensed milk evenly over top.
3) Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
4) Combine dark and semi sweet chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at MEDIUM (50%) 30 seconds; stir. If necessary, microwave at MEDIUM an additional 10 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted and mixture is smooth. Drizzle evenly over top of baked mixture. Cool completely. Cut into bars. About 48 bars.
|finished chippy chewy bars after they have been cooled|
Whenever I ship food of any kind, I like to pack it in a shoe box…my Mom taught me that trick! lined with tin foil
Being the dorky older sister that I am…
I hope he likes the chippy chewy bars. They are VERY rich and addicting!!!!
Have a great day!!!!!