Hi everyone, happy Tuesday! I got a chemical peel last month and my estition told me about using coconut oil as an alternative for moisturizer. She also informed me of the health benefits of coconut oil and how you can use it for cooking, weight loss, and beauty. I was amazed and immediately went to whole foods to buy myself a jar of virgin organic coconut oil.
Since I love natural products I slather it on my skin, hair and lips. Coconut oil has long been known as a beauty secret in many parts of the world and is it is finally recovering its due respect here in the U.S.
Benefits & Uses of Coconut Oil:
- Contains natural UV defense, and helps to slow down the aging process in the skin.
- Spread it on your skin to make it super soft, with intense moisture and healing.
- Apply it to your hair as a mask to heal dry, damaged hair, get rid of split ends and keep your hair softer and stronger. To use on hair, apply a small amount and leave on for about 30 minutes. Rinse or shampoo out.
- Speeds up your metabolism, helping your body to burn more calories, thus contributing to weight loss. It also is known to heal thyroid disorders and help to regulate thyroid function, which in turn promotes weight loss.
- Use it to remove eye makeup.
- As a substitute for vegetable oil when baking.
- Substitute coconut oil for olive oil when sautéing vegetables.
Why is Coconut Oil Solid?: Unlike most other oils, coconut oil has a high melting point – about 76-78 degrees. Therefore it is solid at room temperature and melts only when the temperatures go high. If you buy a bottle of coconut oil and find it solid, don’t think that there is some problem with it. Coconut oil is like this only. And of course, don’t keep it in your refrigerator.
Celebrity Fact: Model Miranda Kerr revealed her number one beauty secret as coconut oil.
Where you can find coconut oil:
- your local health food store
- whole foods
- trader joe’s
When you’re shopping, make sure you purchase organic virgin coconut oil.