I never thought to make cream of mushroom soup until Texas boy confessed that he loves mushrooms more than he loves me. Whatever. To my surprise the soup came out better than I thought. It has the perfect balance of flavor and texture in every bite. I found this recipe from My Recipes but of course made some modifications.
Low fat Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 8 cups sliced button mushrooms (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 7 ounces)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (32-ounce) boxes fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 6 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 tbsp of flour (for thickening)
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Heat oil in a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery; sauté 6 minutes or until tender. Reduce heat to medium; add mushrooms and garlic. Cook 7 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring frequently. Add water, sage, salt, pepper, and broth; bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer 25 minutes. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
Puree mushroom mixture with a handheld blender aka boat motor. If you don’t have one, place half of mushroom mixture in a blender; process until smooth. Repeat procedure with remaining mushroom mixture. Return soup to pan. Stir in half-and-half, flour, and sherry; stir well & cook over low heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently until the soup thickens slightly. Sprinkle each serving with 1 teaspoon parsley.
Paired perfectly with a glass of white wine from my Club W shipment.